Saturday, May 3, 2014

Something cool at WalMart..or Be Kind

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32 ESV)

I know, I know. I've sworn off Walmart a million times. This evening though, I needed a money order. I pay my rent by money order since I refuse to buy checks for the only monthly bill I need a check for. I went to a different WalMart this time (a much cleaner Neighborhood Market) that was next to my bank and a new Dollar Tree. I needed to visit the bank and wanted to visit the Dollar Tree so this was more convenient.

A very young couple were in line in front of me with a tiny newborn. They were also getting a money order for rent as well as groceries. After purchasing the money order, the clerk processed their food purchases and engaged in conversation with the couple- the baby was 2 days old! Sadly the grocery purchase declined so the kids had to start putting stuff back.



Then a guy in line noticed their predicament. He didn't look like he had cash to spare (I now know him and know that he doesn't) but pulled money out (a $100 bill!) and handed it to the couple and told them to buy whatever they needed. He said that he had been blessed many times over. You should have seen the look on that couple's face!

Anyhow it was a a good reminder. First- to pay attention. So many times I get so busy with a million thoughts going on in my head, I just don't pay attention- to other people and their needs or to the Spirit prompting me to do or say something. Secondly, to be kind. Maybe I couldn't help a lot. But I can do a little. A kind word. Encouragement. So many needful encouragements go unsaid.

I know it was no coincidence that I went to WalMart today. I just needed a gentle reminder to be kind.

No comments: