Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wednesdays in The Word: Read Through The Bible in 90 Days.


Bible in 90 Days

Am I the only person who has made wonderful New Years resolutions and then in mid-year (or maybe a wee bit earlier) fell flat on your face?  I had set out with some lofty goals for 2013.  My flesh (sinful and physical) have conspired against me.  And well, they aren't going that well.  Honestly, they aren't going at all.

So, now, you probably have a sneaking suspicion why Wednesdays in the Word has dropped to the sidelines. Haven't been keeping up with the 10 lists.   I'm hopelessly behind.  What to do..what to do..

I thought about trying the over the top idea of reading the entire Bible before the end of the year.  But did you know there are only 62 days left?  I don't want to set myself up for failure (again) so that doesn't look do-able.  But there are Christians (and whole churches) who have read through the Bible in 90 days.  Actually 88 days but that gives 2 days for catch-up. This is encouraging for me- to know that other people-moms, dads, busy people- have done this and succeeded.

“You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” Charlie Jones (quoted by Dave Ramsey)


So I have decided to give this a shot. It should take about 45 minutes- 1 hour a day.  I spend 1 hour a day on buses so I definitely have time.  And I have the ESV Bible on my Kindle- so I don't have to carry a Bible around either.

So what do you think?  I know it sounds like a  lot (it is).  I do better physically, mentally- well in every way when I stay busy.  It's free time that causes me problems.

So each Wednesday I plan on updating on my progress through the Bible.  I might switch back and forth between Old and New Testament (one book Old, one book New) when I get to Leviticus and Numbers.


WEEK ONE:  GENESIS AND EXODUS


Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start...
(The Sound of Music)


No comments: